In March 2018 we co-initiated the International Waste Platform
As a member we committed ourselves to align objectives, to support the implementation of strategies of Ocean Action and Climate Action, as well as to share ideas, best practices, concepts, programs, knowledge and opportunities; including the reduction of plastic debris at the source, before it enters rivers and the coastal environment.
Country / regional networks and national marine debris networks make a difference in societal behaviour change and environmental politics by providing input and promoting action which aims at finding solutions to ocean plastic pollution. Country and regional networks are essential to reach the prevention and reduction of marine pollution of all kinds and foster the establishment of national and international partnerships in a multi-stakeholder approach.
Our collaborative scope of work
- Responding to the call for action on SDG17;
- Mapping of stakeholders and their programs;
- Promoting and facilitating cross-sector collaborations;
- Promoting synergy between stakeholders;
- Capacity building;
- Promoting stakeholder engagement in national action plans and strategies;
- Promote the forming of such national action plans and strategies in countries/regions which not yet have developed these;
- Country/ regional specific activities.